Beware the person who justifies bad behavior with apologies.
The betrayal of infidelity is, without doubt, among the most painful adult-life emotional experiences anyone can have. As sex and porn addicts, this is what we inflict on our spouses and partners. And sadly, we often continue to do this even after we enter recovery. Seven common mistakes we make that continue to break our loved one’s heart include:
- Continuing to cheat.
- Continuing to lie and keep secrets.
- Blaming anyone but ourselves for our behavior.
- Apologizing and expecting/demanding immediate forgiveness.
- Trying to ‘buy forgiveness’ with flowers, dinners, trips, jewelry, sex, etc.
- Using aggression or threats to establish control.
- Trying to calm our partner down.
Task for Today
Pay attention to the seven bad behaviors listed above. Are you engaging in any of these actions?